Lemon Curd Layer Cake
Listen, I’m not much of a baker but I’m willing to give any new project a try. My sister-in-laws baby shower was this Fall and she and I share similar tastes esthetically. Neutral, classic, & clean. So, I immediately started looking for layer cake recipes. Here were a few of my inspirations:
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature, plus more for pans
- 3 cups sifted all-purpose flour, plus more for pans
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 4 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 1/4 cups buttermilk
- 1 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- Grated zest of 2 lemons
- 3 cups Lemon Curd
- Sweetened Whipped Cream
- 12 ounces assorted fresh berries
- Confectioners’ sugar, for dusting
- Heat oven to 350 degrees. Arrange two racks in center of oven. Butter two 8-by-2-inch round cake pans; line bottoms with parchment paper. Dust bottoms and sides of pans with flour; tap out any excess.
- In a large bowl, sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream butter on medium speed until softened, 1 to 2 minutes. Gradually add granulated sugar, beating on medium speed until lightened, 3 to 4 minutes; scrape down sides once or twice. Drizzle in eggs, a little at a time, beating after each addition until batter is no longer slick, about 5 minutes; stop once or twice to scrape down sides.
- On low speed, alternately add flour mixture and buttermilk, a little of each at a time, beginning and ending with flour mixture. Beat in vanilla and lemon zest.
- Divide batter evenly between the prepared pans. Bake 25 minutes, then rotate the pans in the oven for even browning. Continue baking until a cake tester inserted into the center of each cake comes out clean, 10 to 20 minutes more. Transfer pans to wire racks to cool, 15 minutes. Turn out cakes; set on racks, tops up, until completely cool.
- Remove the parchment from bottom of each cake. Using a serrated knife, slice each layer in half horizontally. Set aside the prettiest domed layer for the top of cake. Place another domed layer, dome-side down, on a serving platter. Spread 1 cup lemon curd over surface to within 1/2 inch from edges. Place second cake layer over the first, and spread another 1 cup curd over top. Repeat with third cake layer and remaining cup curd. Transfer partially assembled cake to the refrigerator.
- Just before serving, place reserved dome on top of cake. Spoon sweetened whipped cream over the top. Sprinkle with mixed berries, and dust with confectioners’ sugar through a fine sieve.
Link to original recipe on Martha Stewart HERE
IT WAS SO GOOD YOU GUYS. Even Brent who has a Southern grandma told me it was one of the best cakes he’s ever tried. Make it and ENJOY. Here was my final product.